Taiwanese girls, more often than not, seem to generally get “bad press”.
That is, most of what is written or reported about them on blogs, websites or other social media frequented by males—and not only foreigners from the West but also by other Asian expats—seems to err on the negative. But are Taiwanese girls really that bad?
One of my friends described the Taiwanese girls that he had met whilst living in Taipei as a cross between Hong Kong girls and Mainland Chinese girls, having characteristics of both of these other types of women. Mind you, perhaps that is not so surprising as, believe it or not, Taiwanese girls are ethnic Chinese girls too!
Another indisputable fact, of course if that Taiwanese girls are females—and probably, in reality, not that much different in behaviour or traits to other women in the US, Germany, UK or whichever country you wish to name.
What makes a Taiwanese girl what she is
Naturally, there are all sort of opinions around as to why Taiwanese girls behave as they do.
Perhaps it’s something to do with the quite unique culture of Taiwanese girls and their fairly rigid upbringing, plus the particular circumstances of Taiwan as a nation.
For those who don’t know, Taiwan is large island which sits off the coast of Mainland China and, although a relatively small nation, is very influential in the region. For many years relations with the Mainland, for historical reasons, were not good. In fact, it was only some 10-15 years ago that it was possible to travel directly to China and Taiwanese girls or males looking to visit the maternal homeland had to go via Hong Kong.
Many Taiwanese girls grew up in this period when China was far from the number two economy in the world and restrictions and limitations were common on social or other activities in China. This, in turn, spilled over to Taiwan and it wasn’t the late 1990s that relations finally thawed and an economic boom arrived on the Island.
Taiwan gradually liberalised and the newly acquired freedom of expression laid ground for many Taiwanese girls to become active in the fields of music, arts, fashion and beauty. The next century into the 2000s continued with this transformation and, together with the Island’s democratisation, meant that Taiwanese girls became more visually socially, more independent and more demanding of relationships, yet still constrained by traditional family, societal and Confucian values.
All in all, given this backdrop and mix, Taiwanese girls can, perhaps, be described as a “blend” of the women of several Asian countries.
Still, Taiwanese girls have quite a reputation
Many Taiwanese girls seem to have garnered a reputation for being hard to please. Yet, just as when talking about any particular demographic within Asia, or elsewhere for that matter, given that there are several million women in Taiwan it’s hard not to overly generalise about Taiwanese girls.
Still, depending on which article or blog post you are reading and, to be fair from whose viewpoint the piece is being written from, a number of key character traits reoccur when men are talking about Taiwanese girls; these include:
- they can be highly materialistic, loving a man only for his money and in exchange for expensive gifts and lavish allowances
- many of the younger generation of Taiwanese girls are self-centred, selfish and insecure
- others are obsessively shy in public and in intimate situations
- most Taiwanese girls are only concerned about buying clothes and accessories or looking good and don’t care how they get the money to do so
- for some Taiwanese girls, having a foreign boyfriend can almost become status symbol, especially if he is perceived to be good looking… and rich, or relatively so!
- many such girls are slavish followers of soap operas, low grade TV talk shows and fashions and trends from Korea and Japan
- and, finally, most Taiwanese girls are almost insanely jealous or behave particularly badly if/when a man breaks up with them
Phew, quite a list! There are more… but these are some of the often stated thoughts on Taiwanese girls—all from men I hasten to add!
The flip side to the oft expressed views on Taiwanese girls
However, there are clearly two sides to every argument and many a foreigner has had far better things to say about Taiwanese girls—after all, if the girls were all bad all of the time, there would be no mixed race long term dating or marriages between—and there are plenty of them, believe me!
In fact, I know of a number of foreign men who live in Taipei who believe that dating Taiwanese girls is well worthwhile and more rewarding than dating other East Asian girls.
Some positive points about dating Taiwanese girls which I’ve heard and seem to reoccur include:
- many Taiwanese girls speak good English, especially in Taipei and other major centres of commerce
- the family of Taiwanese girls are generally more open minded when it comes to their daughter dating a foreigner, something which is sometimes more prohibitive on the Mainland or in Korea, for example
- Taiwanese girls are generally very friendly towards foreigners and are comfortable taking the lead in certain social situations, having been exposed to people and customs from other countries such as the UK or Australia
- most Taiwanese girls have a good education level having been through University and it’s possible to have meaningful conversations about a variety of topics, perhaps more so than with Mainland or even Hong Kong girls
- generally with Taiwanese girls there is less of a cultural transition to make than if you were dating someone from, say, Japan or China
- given their character traits of drive and determination, many Taiwanese girls are able to obtain and hold on to good careers and even become good business partners as well as lovers or wives
So, there we have it: two sides to the same subject, two distinct views of Taiwanese girls! One set of views quite negative, the other positive…
Naughty or nice: Taiwanese girls’ double image
In view of the above, just how does one begin to reconcile the two starkly contrasting images of Taiwanese girls?
Clearly, no two Taiwanese girls are the same; no two women will be exact copies of each other.
In fact, it’s the modern way where people like to paint caricatures of others: from the sexy, slinky, fashion, TV drama queen to the demure feminine or traditional Asian woman; from the self-centred, relatively immature, materialistic 20-something Taiwanese girl to the smart sophisticated, well educated, capable Taiwanese woman.
It goes without saying that everyone has two or more sides to their character and Taiwanese girls are no different; the public face and the private face can be totally different. So the only way to find out is to try first hand—get to know a few Taiwanese girls at work or at play and find out which one of the often portrayed female is true.
Of course, when Taiwanese girls do get bad press there may well be some foundation to it, but, there again, many foreign men get bad press in dating circles too—and not all of them are bad…, right?